A COMMUNITY WITHIN TWO SCHOOLS
by ivan | May 31, 2018 12:25 PM
The Community Education Building (CEB) Food Pantry is a fully operational food pantry that serves the families of the two CEB partner schools; Kuumba Academy and Great Oaks Charter School. A minimum of 80 families a month visit the pantry for basic perishable and nonperishable food items. The food pantry is part of the CEB’s Family Resource Center. The Family Resource Center promotes the well-being of children, families, and the community by uniting member partners, investing in innovative opportunities to serve the CEB and its partner schools in transforming urban, k-12 education in the city of Wilmington.
The Family Resource Center provides support by joining community partnerships in their ability to provide vital programs, offer support services and referrals to students, families, and the community. In addition to the food pantry, the Family Resource Center programs include the following:
- Laundry Services to assist families experiencing hardship, homelessness or just an unfortunate accident. We will wash a load of our students’/families’ clothes based on their needs at that time.
- Financial Literacy to assist families in identifying financial goals and mapping out a plan to achieve them.
- Free Workshops Series on behavioral health, advocacy, entrepreneurship, housing and employment. We collaborate with professionals in the community to provide the training.
- Computer Basics Classes are offered in English and Spanish to help parents to achieve a level of understanding the technology. This helps them to keep track of school related activities via email and the schools’ websites.
- Homework assistance for students through the volunteer services of high school and college students, and retired teachers.
- Kuumba Academy: https://www.facebook.com/kuumbaacademy/
- Great Oaks Charter School: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Great-Oaks-Charter-School/1402469340065812
- [Image]: http://detvch.com/content_creator/one-on-one-podcast-ashley-biden/05/2018/
Source URL: http://detvch.com/community-news/a-community-within-two-schools/05/2018/
Copyright ©2018 DETVCH unless otherwise noted.