Wilmington Delaware Police Walk The Streets
by Ivan | October 14, 2015 10:14 AM
Did you know the Wilmington Department of Police walk the streets regularly to help build better relations with the community?
Wilmington Police Chief Bobby Cummings, RIGHT, Inspector Clayton Smith, LEFT, walk through various neighborhoods Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2015 in Wilmington. Photo By Saquan Stimpson
Key Public Safety Plan Strategic Initiatives
- Implementation of the New World Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, which was initially installed in March of 2015, will enable the department to map and track the position and movement of each police car. Sector captains will have a mobile version of the CAD system, Crime View and ShotSpotter software on their laptops and desk tops, which will enable Executive Officers to direct department resources toward proactive patrols.
- With the assistance of the Violence Reduction Network, the Wilmington Police Department scheduled all officers to participate in the Blue Courage Training to build community-policing principles throughout the entire department.
- The Wilmington Police Department is working with the Violence Reduction Network to unify all of the Department’s crime analysis data and to assess the feasibility of creating a Real Time Crime Center.
- An officer will be assigned to the Wilmington Police Athletic League and the William Hicks Anderson Community Center, which will strengthen relationships between the police and local children and their families. The officers will work with the community to identify problems and create a safe haven for youths.
Wilmington Police Chief Bobby Cummings, CENTER, engages in conversation with wilmington youth Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2015 in Wilmington. Photo By Saquan Stimpson
“Policing is most effective when the officers are working with the community and not strictly policing it,” said Chief Cummings. “This public safety plan places a strong emphasis on strengthening relationships with the community, while also creating a more efficient organizational structure within the department, implementing crime data analysis initiatives, and expanding pivotal units like the Homicide/ Violent Crimes Unit and Community Policing Unit. These efforts will work toward building safe and strong neighborhoods.”
Website: Wilmington Department
- [Image]: http://detvch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/101315-WPD-Walks-The-Streets-SS-29.jpg
- [Image]: http://detvch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/101315-WPD-Walks-The-Streets-SS-03.jpg
- Wilmington Department: http://www.wilmingtonde.gov/government/police
Source URL: http://detvch.com/video/wilmington-delaware-police-walk-the-streets/10/2015/
Copyright ©2019 DETVCH unless otherwise noted.