Lava cakes, also known as chocolate fondant cakes, are a delicious dessert that combines the rich taste of chocolate with the gooey texture of melted chocolate inside. The cake itself is made with a chocolate sponge cake on the outside and a melted chocolate center that oozes out when you cut into it. They are a popular dessert option in restaurants and can easily be made at home with the right recipe.
Here is a recipe for a classic lava cake:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter
- 8 oz of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar and fresh berries for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) and grease 6 ramekins or oven-safe molds.
- Melt the butter and chocolate chips in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, and flour.
- Slowly pour the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and stir until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared molds and tap them on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake the cakes for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are set but the center still jiggles slightly.
- Carefully remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool for 2-3 minutes before inverting them onto plates.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and fresh berries, if desired. Serve immediately while the chocolate center is still warm and gooey.
Note: -You can also use dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips, depending on your preference. -For a vegan version, you can substitute the butter and eggs with vegan butter and flax eggs.
Lava cakes are the perfect dessert for any chocolate lover. They are easy to make, yet impressive to serve. The warm, gooey center paired with the chocolate sponge cake makes for a delicious and satisfying dessert experience. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the decadent taste of lava cakes in the comfort of your own home.